↑ Return to About Us

Print this Page

Junior School

About

Located in beautiful Mullingar or “An Muileann gCearr” as it is known in Irish, our school has a long and proud tradition of service to Mullingar town and the surrounding areas. Indeed the Presentation Sisters first came to Mullingar in 1825, almost 200 years ago and founded the present school. The school was originally a three story building and it remained so until 1937 when extensive renovations took place and the school took on a new face as a two storey building.

In 1957 Scoil na Maighdine Muire (The Presentation Senior School) opened and the then 4th – 7th standard moved to the Senior School and the Junior school retained Junior Infants to 3rd standard. A number of year’s later the 3rd standard also moved to the Senior School. Thus we have our current class system where our school has Junior Infants to 2nd class inclusive.

Aims, Spirits and Traditions

Each pupil is encouraged to obtain the maximum benefit from every aspect of his/her abilities to the full. The highest standards of behaviour and discipline are aimed at and maintained in the school based on friendly co-operation between pupils and staff. Discipline is seen and presented not only as a means of promoting good order in the school as a whole, but also as a means of providing opportunities for self control for each individual student.

 

School Facilities

Our School offers the following:

  • A friendly, enthusiastic and talented staff who keep abreast of all the educational developments and are dedicated to the total development and care of all the pupils.
  • Well-equipped classrooms with a computer and interactive white board in all classrooms.
  • A large range of educational software.
  • An attractive playground with markings for hopscotch etc.
  • A large Concert Hall with a stage.
  • A wide range of P.E. equipment.
  • Our school is within walking distance from all the local facilities and places of interest – Library, Arts Centre, Swimming Pool, Tennis Club, Cathedral, Columb Barracks, Fire Station, Garda Station and the Canal.

 

History Timeline

Below is a timeline of the major milestones and events in our school’s history.

 

Date Event
1825 

 

On the 29th of October at 5 pm the Presentation Nuns formally came to Mullingar. Miss Ellen Martin opened classes in the first floor of the Convent.
1826 In February of this year the Nuns took over the school.
1840-1842 A permanent school was built adjoining the convent.
1843 In 1843 the famous parliamentarian Daniel O’Connell had breakfast in the School after he had assisted at Mass and received Holy Communion in the Convent Chapel upon the occasion of his famous “Monster Meeting” where he called for the repeal of the Union.
1850 On 10th of September a number of Nuns from the convent began a journey to Madras in India.
1879 The foundation stone of the new Chapel was laid by Dr Nulty.
1883 On Holy Thursday 1883 the new Chapel was opened and blessed.
1898 On the 1st Monday in September the new Infant School was officially opened
1921 Additional building at the front of the Convent commenced.
1923 The Sisters moved into the new Convent just after Easter.
1930 Electric light was first installed in the Convent and the Junior School.
1936-1939 The School buildings underwent a programme of reconstruction and renovation.
1957 During 1957 the Senior School, Scoil na Maighdine Muire opened.
1958 A number of Nuns went to Alabama in the United States.
1975 The Bi-centenary of the Presentation order was celebrated. The Presentation Sisters were 150 years in Mullingar.
1970 The number of Students in the combined Schools was 1,095.
2000 On the 10th of January 2000 Mrs Valerie Moore commenced duty as the first lay Principal of the School since its foundation in 1825.
2000 On the 21st of November a special mass was held to celebrate the 175th anniversary of the arrival of the Presentation order in Mullingar.
2009 In November Mrs Valerie Moore retired as Principal.
2009 Mrs Bernie Beddows commenced duty as Principal of the school, another exciting era in our history begins.
2025 In 2025 the Presentation school will be in Mullingar 200 years. The students in our school now will have gone to college and started their careers………… Like the many thousands before them.

 

Interesting Facts

Here are some interesting facts about our school that you may not know:

  • In 1843 the famous parliamentarian Daniel O’Connell had breakfast in the School after he had assisted at Mass and received Holy Communion in the Convent Chapel upon the occasion of his famous “Monster Meeting” where he called for the repeal of the Union.
  • Did you know that in 1930 electric light was first installed in the Convent and Junior School.
  • In February 2007 our school was awarded the Green Flag!! Congratulations to all those involved. This was a fantastic achievment for our school.
  • In April 2008 our second class pupils participated in “An Cumann Scoildramaiochta” in Mullingar Arts centre. Their play “Tir Na Nog” won the overall prize/Scothleiriu Na Feile.
  • Did you know that in 2025 our school will be two hundred years old? Not many schools can make this claim!

Permanent link to this article: http://www.presentationmullingar.ie/index.php/about-us/junior/

fake rolex sale
cartier replica
tag heuer replica uk
rolex replica sale
hublot replica
rolex replica uk
replica watches